The helpful folk at WordPress – who host this blog – have sent me a summary of the stats for last year. And for a beginner in this world, I am quite pleased … they appear below. But before I get there I want to reveal something that the stats-keepers have also been collecting. And that is the search terms that people put into Google et al – and then end up arriving at my site. I would be interested to know which you think are the most unlikely – and also the most impressive … here are some of my favourites (editorials in brackets):
- contrary between swallow and sparrow in ancient egypt (I am just copying what is there … if you can understand how this got to me, please share)
- where do hedgehogs originate
- the cute storybook with hedgehogs in the bottom of each page
- punk beijing china hedgehog
- gothic hedgehog tattoos
- natural looking dog paw prints tattoo with shading (dogs???)
- hedgehogs chewing on leather
- dead sparrow
- new book about opera (well that one should be obvious …)
- unsocialised lemur (how did this end up with me???)
- stephen fry (this was the second most popular search – and I am guessing there are some disappointed people out there … )
- osborne thieving bastard
- ben fogle tattoo (I am not sure if this was someone looking for a tattoo of Ben, of just to see if he had a tattoo … it had better be a hedgehog if he does! And how did it get used 23 times?)
- hedgehog jokes (nearly twice as many people searched for this as they did for hedgehog hugh … there might be a message in that)
- hedgehog taxidermy ebay (I guess that one is not too hard to explain – but interesting that I am not alone)
- slug slime feet
- hedgehog marijuana (have I even mentioned marijuana? And what is hedgehog marijuana anyway … I would be happy to experiment)
- parasitology jokes
- fat eating capitalist cats
- flagelist (help me on this please …)
- hedgehog hugh!! (I love that someone has searched for me with exclamation marks!)
- prodded poppies
- scared of 5 rhythms
- greenpeace hedgehogs
- how much is a hedgehog worth (they are priceless … and that is enough of this … here follow the year in stats)
The stats helper monkeys at WordPress.com mulled over how this blog did in 2010, and here’s a high level summary of its overall blog health:
The Blog-Health-o-Meter™ reads Wow.
A Boeing 747-400 passenger jet can hold 416 passengers. This blog was viewed about 9,800 times in 2010. That’s about 24 full 747s.
In 2010, there were 45 new posts, growing the total archive of this blog to 64 posts. There were 41 pictures uploaded, taking up a total of 93mb. That’s about 3 pictures per month.
The busiest day of the year was April 12th with 314 views. The most popular post that day was countryfile and empathy.
Where did they come from?
The top referring sites in 2010 were britishhedgehogs.org.uk, urchin.info, care2.com, facebook.com, and hedgehoghelp.co.uk.
Some visitors came searching, mostly for hedgehog jokes, stephen fry, hedgehog feet, hedgehog hugh, and hedgehog tattoos.
Attractions in 2010
These are the posts and pages that got the most views in 2010.
countryfile and empathy April 2010
How much is a hedgehog worth? February 2010
Stuff about me … November 2008
hedgehog feet April 2010
Why the exotic pet trade is wrong and undercover investigations are so important January 2010